Friday 22 May 2015

Brief 4: Forty Year of Hip Hop Design Boards and Evaluation



This was a brief created for the Nation of Shopkeepers exhibition; LCA x LCM. The purpose of the exhibition was to function as a collaboration between students from Leeds Collage of Art and Leeds College of Music. This was an exciting project as it was an opportunity to get our work viewed by members of the public in a centrally located bar in leeds. It was also a good way to meet new people from Leeds College of Music. As the brief was completely open to what we wanted to create, I wanted to think of topic which effectively communicated a link between music and art. During my research for Context of Practice, I became aware that 2014 marked 40 years of Hip Hop. This seemed like an ideal topic to form artwork for.

This project took a duration of one month. I wanted to push my creative abilities further and experiment with producing multiple ideas for the exhibition. As this was an opportunity to promote ourselves amongst other creatives of all ages, I considered promotional means as an important part of my design.

Once I had decided on creating a poster with supporting beer mats to suit the bar environment, I thought it could be fun to make the project into an interactive quiz where people would be encouraged to guess the different songs for each year. The winners would receive either a free print of the poster, or one of the lasercut beermats as a reward depending on how well they did in the quiz.

Due to time, I decided to keep the poster as an infographic poster form. The vinyl beermats worked as a self-promotional means. I was really pleased to see all of these were taken by the end of the event. Even if the process doesn't lead to further design enquiries, it is great to know that my name and email has been taken away with 50 individually made beer mats.

I really enjoyed this brief. There was a new form of pressure due to the requirements of meeting the deadline of the exhibition, with additional time to hang the work in our designated spaces. The process gave me an insight to featuring my own work in an exhibition, but also creating work to suit a specific size and location. If I were to carry out this project again, I might consider charging a small price for the beermats, due to the popularity and the time spent on making them. However, I couldnt have been happier with the feedback and response from this outcome. An additional bonus was being contacted by one of the attendees of the event, asking if he could feature my work as part of his case study for a Leeds Met Graphic Design brief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment