Friday 22 May 2015

Brief 3: Rox Vox Design Boards and Evaluation



This was probably one of my favourite briefs this year. It was a project I had been wanting to complete for a while, but I had wanted to spend a substantial amount of time perfecting the content. Rox Vox is a jewellery company, which was originally set up by my Mum, Julia Gosney. This was originally intended to be an entirely online business. As the Rox Vox brand was never fully developed, I thought this would be a great opportunity to create a personalised brand. 

In some ways, the brief functioned as a form of collaboration. My Mum had previously ordered a range of wooden oak boxes, planned a specific gift-wrap method and the jewellery had been sourced from a range of different countries over time, including Thailand, Mexico and Bali. The jewellery ranged between everything from dichroic glass and rose quartz, to silver and freshwater pearl. Rox Vox focuses on the experience and emotional details of receiving a special gift. I wanted to form an identity, which conveyed an approachable company with good intentions and a purpose of making people happy. 

I thought the brand would be best suited to a hand-drawn aesthetic. I wanted to keep the style smart, sophisticated and elegant - like the jewellery. The primary target audience was women aged 18+ with a range of jewellery, which appealed to all ages. To incorporate a youthful element, I wanted to keep the identity friendly too. The final logo received a lot of positive feedback from my peers. I was extremely happy with the outcome of the engraved boxes. The rich, dark colour of the wood added a deeper value to the boxes and complemented the type of the logo. 

In addition to creating the identity for Rox Vox, I had been organising a Christmas jewellery sale. It was a big project to complete over the space of 2-3 weeks. I focused a lot of my time to this brief as it was one, which I felt very attached to from the start. It was great taking on the challenge of organising an event and considering all of the different designs for the jewellery packaging and design for the event itself, such as a colour coded pricing chart and price tags including information about the jewellery. 

The jewellery sale was a huge success. We had more guests that we had predicted, and we managed to raise around £400 for Breast Cancer Research. I found this project a real achievement for many reasons. I discovered just how much work is required to ensure an event runs smoothly. The project required a lot of patience, organisation and persistence throughout. I enjoyed every part of this brief and the feeling of a sucessful event was something I will take with me in future. I hope to organise more events like this in future, for Rox Vox, or for something completely new. There is something really rewarding about seeing a project in a live context where people are interacting with your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment