Friday 22 May 2015

Brief 2: Yamaha Design Boards & Evaluation



This was one of the bigger briefs completed. I chose this brief as it seemed like a big challenge. As the brief was set by a global company to Graphic Designers worldwide, I was aware it would be a tough competition. This brief was ideal for me to get back into my creative routine. As I hadn't spent as much time using the Adobe Suite over summer, I used this project as an excuse to get back into the routine. 

I set myself a challenge of completing the brief over one month. There was a heavy focus on concept and refinement of ideas. I was particularly drawn to the theme of the brief: KANDO', meaning 'for the heart' or 'to be deeply moved'. The research part of the project consisted of all the different values and ethics of the Yamaha brand. I wanted to discover the concept behind the current Yamaha logo and to see if it contained any deeper meanings. The three tuning forks became more prominent after researching in to the brand. I thought it would be interesting to form an identity based around their current incentives. 

I developed the Kando identity through a series of sketches. Starting off-screen was a really good approach to take. As I often find myself starting on-screen due to time restrictions or quick, turn-around projects, it was refreshing to generate ideas on a page beforehand. I thought about different ways I could depict the three tuning forks and reposition them in a way to recreate 'Kando'. Drawing the ideas meant I was able to adapt them easily.

During the development stage of this brief, I decided on a favourite Kando design. This worked as the core of the concept. I particularly liked this concept as I felt that the icon represented Kando in a sophisticated, yet striking manner. As yamaha is a globally recognised brand, I wanted to ensure the identity was simple and easy to recognise in any language.

Although I was really pleased with the process and development of this brief, I feel as though it could have been pushed further. The main identity concept was conveyed, however the range of contexts it could be used in could have been elaborated on and presented in the final submission. This project challenged me to take a large-scale, broad brief and turn it into something concise and well-refined. I feel that I achieved this to a point where I was pleased.

If I were to carry out this project again, I would want to experiment with more contexts and scenarios where the identity could be introduced. This would add to the overall impact of Kando, helping the judges to visualise the design as a body of work as opposed to just a logo. However I think the posters were an effective way to display the different variations of text, image to form a notion of 'Kando'.

No comments:

Post a Comment