Friday 22 May 2015

Brief 5: Goodtype Design Boards and Evaluation



This was a quick turn-around brief recommended to me by Isabel Tanner. As I had recently become really interested in hand drawn type, I thought this would be a great way to put my ideas into practice. I had originally set this as a one-day project, however, I decided to push the design further to see how it would look as a paper cut-out. The project took three days in total, including photographing the final designs. 

As I had been developing a lot of work digitally before this brief, I decided to keep all of the designs hand drawn and remain working off-screen except for the final stages of the design process. This meant I was able to form new ideas quickly as I felt it was something completely different to the previous briefs. I enjoyed working on something, which was entirely type-based too. 

The highlights of this project were working to short time-scale. Most of my briefs prior to this had lasted a duration of a month, so it was refreshing to attempt a challenge, which required quick ideas and less time for indecisiveness (something, which often slows me down!) The brief was relatively free, leaving it to me to decide what type would be most effective. It was also good to attempt a brief written externally as a lot of my briefs had been self-initiated at this point. 

By developing the design into a laser-cut experiment, I was able to see the design come to life. I was particularly pleased when a couple of my peers compared the final design to a Rob Ryan piece! Although I enjoyed this brief, I don't feel I learnt as much from it creatively as some of the other briefs. It was a new form of challenge due to the off-screen aspect of it, however I don't feel like the brief was specific enough. If I were to attempt a Goodtype call for submissions in future, I would restrict myself to a more concise brief to what they had asked for to ensure the design could be placed into context and fully justified. As justified design is something I feel very strongly about, I felt this brief didn't effectively reflect my design methodology.

No comments:

Post a Comment