Friday 22 May 2015

Brief 10: Sangria Kong Branding Design Boards and Evaluation



This was a branding project, which was developed over a reasonably long duration of time. The development came in stages, and was re-visited multiple times, adding new elements of type and colour. Sangria Kong is a young, independent Hip Hop producer based in Leeds. As part of his self-promotion, he required a logo, which could be created as stickers, placed on cassette tape covers, vinyl sleeves and work on online platforms such as Soundcloud and Bandcamp.

This was a really enjoyable brief, which allowed for a lot of creative freedom. The name Sangria Kong had multiple potential interpretations. As I was free to do what I wanted with this brief, I thought it would be fun to express Sangria’s experimental sounds with his broad interest in culture. I explored different typography from around the world to form a basis of inspiration for my own design.

The final logo took a fun, experimental and characteristic direction. It was beneficial thinking about the different contexts or ways the identity could be applied. I considered branding an entire night for Sangria Kong, with cups of sangria and stickers to give out to people at different events where Sangria Kong was playing a dj set. Unfortunately, due to time restraints I thought it was best to just focus mainly on the design concept.

This was a fun brief to attempt. I felt that the design did the client justice and effectively communicated his personality. I would have liked to push the brief a lot further. It is definitely a project, which I am planning to develop in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment