Wednesday 29 April 2015

Design Publication Research

To begin thinking about my design publication, I thought about my main influences as designer. I wanted to research into a couple of different fields of interest before deciding on a favourite topic.

The first things which came to mind were:

  • Typography
  • Language
  • Music
  • People
  • Emotion


I thought it would be interesting to somehow combine all of these elements together to create a visual interpretation of myself. The typography and language could work as a form of visual communication to convey different emotions inspired by people and music. Failing this I would narrow down the list and choose either one or a couple which I thought would work most effectively.

As music is such an important aspect of my life, I wanted to think about the different ways I could illustrate my ideas/ research in a musically-inspired visual language. Although this sounded highly abstract to me at the initial stages of the publication research, I thought it would be interesting to explore further regardless. I was interested to see what ideas had been used before and if there was a solution to the complex challenge I had set myself.

I began researching each of the five topics as broadly as possible so as not to rush into specific pathways at an early stage. At this point of research I was collecting a body of articles, images and artists to help me better understand my own interests. As I find it difficult to work systematically or focus on one thing at a time this seemed like the most appropriate method of collecting research. The following content includes everything and anything which has caught my attention over the past three years.

TYPOGRAPHY
Rebecca Chew

rebeccachew.co  Rebecca Chew - Esquire Magazine

Paul Rand


Sarah King
www.sarahaking.com





MUSIC


Hi-Fi from bante on Vimeo.


http://www.eyemagazine.com/feature/article/cool-clear-collected
http://retinart.net/artist-profiles/jazzy-blue-notes-reid-miles/
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/09/07/drawing-mark-making-creative-way-maximize-design-ideas-type/
http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-releases/12-x-12-the-12-best-caribbean-disco-records/

No comments:

Post a Comment